This is a recipe for what my Mother called a bowl of health! Italian minestrone – easy to make and the house smells great!
1 – 16OZ bag of great northern beans
2 – 16OZ cans of beef stock (low sodium)
3 – 14.5OZ cans of diced Italian tomatoes
1 – small head of cabbage, shredded
4 – zucchini’s sliced and quartered
1 – yellow zucchini (squash) for color sliced and quartered
6 – potatoes peeled and cubed
6 – carrots peeled and cut up into small chunks
1 – bag of cut, frozen green beans (fresh is better)
1 – white onion diced
2 tablespoons of salt
2 tablespoons of black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed basil
Half a cup of olive oil
Two cups tiny pasta (optional)
· Rinse the beans and then place in a stock pot with 8 cups of water and bring to a boil.
· Remove from heat and let stand in the pot for an hour do not drain.
· Add beef stock and diced tomatoes (with juice) and bring to a boil.
· Add all the vegetables, seasoning, olive oil and bring to boil again.
· Turn heat to low and allow to simmer for an hour or until vegetables are cooked.
· If the soup is too watery you can add the small pasta and allow to cook for 20 minutes. (I do not use the pasta but my mom did)
Serve in bowls with grated parmesan cheese on top and good Italian bread. Enjoy! It’s even better the next time you have it!